If you are getting crashes at launch, or during gameplay, please try the steps below:
For all PC users
Try removing microcodecache.bin. It's located in Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Hob and will be a versioned file (e.g., microcodecache188.8.131.52.bin). There might be more than one of them in the folder – remove them all.
For Steam users
Verify Cache Integrity
When Steam downloads the game, or patches it, sometimes there can be binary corruption. To resolve:
- Right click on the game in your Steam library
- Choose PROPERTIES.
- Then select the LOCAL FILES tab and choose VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE to see if this resolves the issue.
Run as administrator... / Reinstall MSVC++ Runtime Libraries
This is particularly helpful if you are getting a silent failure on launch. That is to say the game tries to launch, but there is no feedback provided in the form of a crash error message or the crash reporter.
On occasion, this can be due to a third-party system security application preventing execution of the game binary. However, sometimes when this is not the case, if you run as HOB.exe as administrator, you can at least get an error message to appear, which will likely be related to a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library. In this situation, you should try reinstalling all the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime libraries for your macine. We bundle them all with Hob, and you can find them in the following location:
- Right click on the game in your Steam library.
- Choose PROPERTIES.
- Then select the LOCAL FILES tab and choose BROWSE LOCAL FILES...
- An Explorer window should appear. Check in the _CommonRedist\vcredist folder and run through the installers in each of the subdirectories (2008, 2010, 2012) that you can get to install. Try installing both the x86 and x64 versions. It might fail out, depending on your machine. That's probably okay. If you can at least get the 2012 redist to install, it should resolve the problem.
Please contact us if you are still having problems.
For GOG.com users
Verify & Repair
The GOG Galaxy client offers some troubleshooting options:
- Locate the installed game in your library (on the lefthand side of the client)
- Right click it and choose Manage installation... > Verify / Repair...
- Confirm that you'd like to proceed.
For PlayStation 4 users
We recommend doing a clean installation of the game. It may also be worth removing your old game data. Please see Where are my saved games located? for more information.
Some users on Windows have reported that reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 runtime redistributable resolves launching crashes. See here.
- Locate the GOG Galaxy installation folder, which will probably be in: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Dependencies\__redist\DirectX\
- Run DXSETUP.EXE in that folder.
Generally reinstalling the game often takes care of issues. Please contact us if you've tried the steps documented above and are still having trouble.
Note: To speed up your support interaction, be sure to read How do I get support for Hob? before you contact us.