Note: This KB article also may apply to desktops.
By default, many laptops erroneously use the lower-powered – and lower-performance – integrated GPU (e.g., Intel Integrated) for applications which require the use of a higher-powered, discrete graphics device.
As of patch 1.13.x.2, the launcher provides an option to set your GPU.
If that doesn't work, try the instructions below:
For Nvidia Devices
- Open the Hob installation folder. This will likely be...
- For Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hob
- For GOG Galaxy: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Hob
- For the GOG classic installer: C:\GOG Games\Hob
For AMD Devices
- From the Desktop, right-click and choose AMD Radeon Settings.
- Navigate to Preferences > Radeon Additional Settings > Power > Switchable Graphics Application Settings.
- Click Add Application to add Hob.exe if it does not already appear in the list. Follow the prompts to add it.
- Under Graphics Settings, choose High Performance and click apply.
- Continue on...
At this point, try re-launching the game. You should see immediate improvements in framerate and overall performance. If not, please see Performance Troubleshooting for additional steps to try. Be advised that until this issue is resolved, you may need to perform these steps again if we issue updates to the game in the interim.
Additional Notes: If you are running the Steam version, and attempt the launch Hob by directly running HOB.exe, you may see an error message stating "SteamAPI_RestartAppIfNecessary() failed." If you see this message, try launching the Steam client and run Hob as normal by selecting it from your game library. Contact support if you experience additional issues.