The farther you are from our servers, the more likely your connection will be affected by latency. Our servers, for all of our games, are generally located in North America and Europe. This means that while reachable, connections from distant continents are likely to suffer from latency-related issues like lag and disconnects. We do everything in our power to limit latency on our end, as well as how much the games are affected by latency, but please understand that you may not have a lag-free experience all of the time.
After about the 300 millisecond (ms) threshold latency starts to become very noticeable. The game may stutter and you may experience some minor lag. The higher the latency, the worse the connection gets, until it eventually gets completely out of sync with the server and disconnects. With these long distance connections, the best you can expect is to reach our servers with about 200 ms of latency, leaving very little room for the inevitable spike in latency, making the connection highly susceptible to network congestion and weather effects.
Until such time as we can build a server closer to you there is little that we, or even your ISP, can do about the connection between continents. All we can suggest is to limit the amount of latency you are putting on your own connection. Here are some general recommendations:
- Make sure that you are not running any other programs that require high bandwidth.
- Don’t download other programs or stream videos/music while you play.
- Try not to use any voice chat programs or VOIP communications like Skype while you play.
- You may want to consider limiting your playtime to off-peak hours, when there are fewer people near you to cause cross-traffic and disrupt your connection.
- Lastly, contact your ISP to see if there is anything that they can offer that will minimize how your connection is affected by high latency connections.