- My game keeps crashing to the desktop. How do I prevent this?
Related Games: PWI, Forsaken World, Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, Champions Online
Causes and Resolutions:
If your game is crashing, this will likely require more direct support from our Customer Service team, but here are a few common reasons for why the game may be crashing on your system.
- Try closing any and all third-party programs that are running in the background.
- Those known to conflict with our titles include: RivaTuner Statistics Server, MSI Afterburner, Razer Chroma, Razer Synapse, AlienFX, SteelSeries Engine 3 software, TeamViewer, Display Fusion, and Mumble.
- The game is using up too much of your system's resources (RAM and video memory).
- Please make sure you meet the system requirements.
- There is an issue with game files that may require you to verify the game files.
- There is a conflict with the Image Sharpening feature enabled for your GPU. This is a known issue (as of March 2020) and results in crashes for many Cryptic players. The links below explain how to disable this feature depending on your GPU:
The most common resolutions to these issues are:
- Close all programs that aren't needed to run the game to free up as much RAM as possible when playing the game.
- Lower in-game graphical settings or try running the game in Safe Mode (if the crash is in-game).
- To run in Safe Mode, go to Options in the game launcher, check the Safe Mode option, and click Save.
- Make sure your video card drivers are fully updated from the manufacturer's support site.
- You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access (right-click and select run as administrator) to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If you use Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.
- You can try trying the compatibility mode of the game launcher. Right-click the game executable, go to properties, and go to the Compatibility tab. Check the 'Run this program in..." and try different modes, such as Windows 7 Compatibility mode.
- Cryptic Titles:
- Verify your game files by going into Options in the game launcher, checking the Force-Verify box, click Save, then let the verification process complete.
- Set 'On-demand patching' to disabled, patch to the full version, and see if this resolves the issue.
- If you are using a gameplay proxy, disable it and see if that helps with your issue. If you are not using a gameplay proxy and live outside the United States, please try using one of the gameplay proxies and see if that helps with your issue. Gameplay proxies can be found by going into Options in the game launcher (located in the upper-right corner of said launcher).